Some call it a midlife crisis. Others call it a midlife transition. As men navigate life and arrive at a new phase, leaving behind an old one, it can feel like a roller coaster of emotions—and not the fun kind of roller coaster either.
Ever had any of these thoughts?
- Life wasn’t supposed to turn out this way.
- What have I done with my life?
- I don’t enjoy my role/relationship anymore.
- Why does everything feel meaningless?
- What’s the point of life anyway?
- I feel stuck and empty and don’t know what to do about it.
If this sounds familiar, you aren’t alone. Please know countless men have had these exact same thoughts. Although you are a unique person with a unique life situation, it’s not uncommon to feel as you are at this moment. The good news is that it’s possible to get through this time and come out on the other side with a renewed sense of focus and purpose.
What Is the Midlife Transition Stage in Men?
Arriving at mid-life, usually around 40 years old, can raise several issues about your life, purpose, and mortality. However, it is a 100% natural process and a normal part of aging and maturing. It doesn’t have to mean you are running out to buy a new sports car either.
Typically, the midlife transition uncovers issues such as:
- Feeling bored with activities and relationships that used to bring you joy.
- Wanting to do or experience something completely different.
- Experiencing a sense of discontentedness and dissatisfaction that you can’t put your finger on.
- Questioning the purpose of your life.
- Regretting the choices you have made in life.
- Feeling confused about who you are and what the future holds.
There also tends to be a new sense of urgency—a feeling that you are running out of time and need to do things now before it’s too late.
How to Manage This Midlife Transition
While figuring out how to navigate and cope with your midlife transition phase requires time and effort, it is well worth it. With the proper support and tools, you can find increased satisfaction and minimize negative feelings. Of course, living a healthy lifestyle is key, but it’s also important to seek out professional support to develop skills that can help you through this time.
At Positive Living Psychotherapy, Licensed Professional Counselor Taylor Trussel works with men going through the midlife transition to identify thought patterns, behaviors, and emotions preventing them from living life to the fullest and being the best versions of themselves. Taylor uses evidence-based therapeutic approaches, including mindfulness, and tailors each session to meet the individual client’s needs.
If you are struggling through your midlife transition, Taylor can help. While it may be difficult to imagine life getting better, it can when you have support and strategies to help you succeed. Schedule an appointment with Taylor at Positive Living Psychotherapy today to experience more love, joy, and purpose in your life and relationships. Call 770.552.0333 or connect with Taylor online to schedule a free phone consultation.